Before I finish the long promissed translation of an article about new Russian AAMs development, some important news: the new issue 2, 2010 of new 'AirIndustry' journal is mainly dedicated to Russo-Indian ties in this sphere. Most important facts from the issue:
1) An-148 - the negotiations with 2 Indian companies for 8 (+ optionally 11) for passenger and 10 - for cargo version. THe suppositional start of the supply is expected in the first 2011 quarter . The partner of UAC in India in this program promotion is HindAvia Aeronautical Services Pvt Ltd.
2) India has a half of whole current Russian military export contracts ($16 bil from $32 bil).
3) Till 2007 India preferred the light PAK FA variant of RAC MiG, but then changed its position.
4) IAF has already contracted 45 MTA with option for 45 more.
5) Il-38SD contract is fully realized. There is information about negotiation for 5-8 more planes, independently of P-8I purchasing progress.
6) They are sure that after 16 + 29 MiG-29K\KUB India will buy more 20 planes. Together with RuAF contract (24-26 units) it will be as 90 MiG-29K\KUBs, so this plane becomes the world second after F\A-18 SH carrier based fighter.
7) RD-33MK on MiG-29K\KUB and F414 on SH have just the same specific characteristics
RD-33MK: 980 kg, 5500\9000 kgf dry\wet thrust, 0.11 kg\kgf.
F414-GE-400: 1107 kg, 6690\9990 kgf dry\ wet thrust, 0.11 kg\kgf
but MiG-35 (Mig-29K too) is as 30% lighter, so its thrust\weight characteristics are much better, than on SH : 1.03 vs 0.92
By its weight and range the characteristics of MiG-35 and MiG-29K are most close to EF.
8) Zhuk-AE with 680 MMICs, its TWS\attack number is 30\6.
however, the 688 mm 1064 MMICs variant is ALREADY INSTALLED on MiG-35 and went to Indian tender tests!
9) AN\APG-77 AESA radar on SH has only 20\8 in TWS\attack.
10) OLS-UEM 13SM-1 of UOMZ has 70 km detection range, can automatically detect and track the ground targets (something that SH cannot do), has range finder too. It can guide the missiles and the 30-mm auto-cannon. Is offered on MiG-35. Its weight is 60 kg only. SH AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR weights 190 kg.
11) Conformed OLS-K on MiG-35 can track a number of ground targets, no analog abroad Russia.
12) MiG-35 tack-off\landing distance is 500\550 m. The tack-of distance can be reduced to 200 m only with portable springboards.
13) Probably India will contracted more 9 A-50EI AEW&CSs based on Il-476 upgraded aircraft with better payload.